Monday, November 10, 2014

"Language"

"Language"

This painting was created "back awhile". It is an acrylic watercolor on French Arches watercolor paper 30" wide by 22 1/2" high. It was done at the same time I painted "Between the Vines". I was experimenting with bright colors - jungle colors - orange, green and yellow. Orange is one of my favorite colors!

The orginal "theme" for this painting was about language - saying something "drop by drop". The painting could be "read" vertically or horizontally. I finally chose to display this painting horizontally - mainly to get it signed and finished. I'm not sure about why I chose to put geometric boxes around areas of the painting - but somehow it works and provides an interesting repeated pattern. For a title - now - "Language".

This painting has traveled to the West Indies - to Coco Point Lodge, Barbuda and back home to Cincinnati. I painted many paintings for the lodge - had them framed and trasported by air freight and met them at the dock coming out of the bottom of a native sloop! The painting was displayed for awhile until a hurricane hit. I was shown into a warehouse (tin building) to see where my paintings were being stored.

I was able to "rescue" a lot of my paintings. I unframed them - tossed away the stained mats, frames and glass. I packed them up in a homemade portfolio and carried them with me on the plane rides all the way back home. I've been able to save the paintings and have every intention of reproducing those that can be redone - one by one!

No comments:

Post a Comment